Tools Needed: Plastic Spudger, Tweezers, Phillips Head Screwdriver
1. Remove the Bottom Cover
- Remove 11 screws from around the bottom cover.
- Turn the Chromebook right side up and open it.
- Push the plastic spudger into the space between the palmrest and bottom cover, as seen in the second photo. Push in until you hear a click.
- Run the spudger around the edge of the palmrest until the palmrest and the bottom cover are almost separated.
- Once the bottom cover is almost separated close the laptop and flip it upside down.
- Carefully lift the bottom cover off. Note that the daughter board will still be connected to the bottom cover as you lift it off, so be gentle to avoid damaging it.
Before removing any internal parts you will have to disconnect the cables that attach them to the other parts. The next few steps will detail this process.
4. Remove the Daughter Board and Touchpad Cables
- Use the tweezers to lift the black tabs on the connectors.
- Use the tweezers to pull the cables away from the motherboard.
Now that all of the cables are disconnected the computer can be disassembled.
12. Remove the LCD Module
- Push the plastic spudger into the space between the LCD Module and back cover. Push in until you hear a click.
- Run the spudger around the edge of the back cover until the LCD Module and the back cover are separated.
13. Remove the LCD cable from the screen
- Use tweezers to pull the tape off of the connector on the back of the LCD, then pull the cable out of the connector.
- Use the tweezers to remove the touch connector from the module.
15. Remove the Camera and Microphone
- Gently push the plastic spudger under the camera and microphone.
- Slowly push up on both sides until they separate from the back cover.
- To remove the cable, use the tweezers to pull the cable away from the camera.