Tools Needed: Plastic Spudger, Tweezers, Phillips Head Screwdriver
Before removing any internal parts you will have to disconnect the cables that attach them to the other parts. The next few steps will detail this process.
3. Remove the Palmrest and Touchpad Cables
- Use the tweezers to push the black tabs out and away from the motherboard.
- Use the tweezers to pull the cables away from the motherboard.
- Place the plastic spudger under the tabs and gently push up.
- Use the tweezers to pull the touchpad cable up and away from the motherboard.
4. Remove the LCD Cable from the Motherboard
- Use the tweezers to pull the tape off of the connector.
- Use the plastic spudger to lift the black tab on the connector, then gently pull the LCD cable up and away from the motherboard.
Now that all of the cables are disconnected the computer can be disassembled.
9. Remove the Internal Parts
- Remove 13 screws from the inside of the Chromebook.
- Use your hands to gently push the palmrest up about two inches from the rest of the computer so that the hinges don’t obstruct the removal of other parts.
- Use your hands to gently pull the daughterboard, motherboard, and battery out of the bottom cover off of the palmrest.
- To remove the Wi-Fi card from the motherboard, gently pull it away from the motherboard.
- Use the plastic spudger to separate the speakers from the bottom cover, then remove them.
10. Remove the Touchpad
- Remove 4 screws from around the edge of the touchpad.
- Carefully remove the tape stuck to the touchpad.
- Gently use the plastic spudger to separate the touchpad from the palmrest.
12. Remove the Bezel
- Press a spudger into the space between the bezel and back cover until you hear a click, then run the spudger around the edge of the bezel until the bezel and the back cover are separated.
16. Remove the Camera and Microphone
- Gently push the plastic spudger into the gap between the back cover and the camera.
- Push up very slowly on both sides of the camera until they separate from the back cover.
- To remove the cable from the camera, use your hand to carefully pull the cable away from the camera.